The application period for the 2023-24 ASCO Education Scholars Program will open on September 1, 2022, and close on November 22, 2022.
Program Details & Eligibility
Participants in the year-long Education Scholars Program (ESP) will undergo learning science and leadership skills training to enhance ASCO's education offerings. Following the completion of the program, participants will be placed in volunteer work groups to integrate evidence-based education into ASCO programs.
- Develop expertise in the design of education activities;
- Apply the latest research in learning science to oncology education within ASCO and their institutions;
- Engage in leadership skills training with an executive leadership coach;
- Advance medical education within ASCO, their institution, and the medical community as a whole; and
- Upon program completion, serve on an ASCO volunteer work group to further integrate evidence-based education into ASCO’s programs
The Education Scholars Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
For the 2023-2024 Class, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Completed final subspecialty training prior to the start of the program
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support.
- The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included.
Note: If at any time during the application or review process you have a career plan change or leave your current position, please email ASCO Professional Development staff.
Each year, we limit the class size to 12 participants.
ASCO values class diversity and strongly encourages application submissions from all practice settings and oncology subspecialties
This program requires a time commitment for travel and training. Participants will be required to attend and actively participate in 5 meetings that follow this sample schedule:
- Virtual Orientation: Fall 2023
- Session I: 3-day session at ASCO HQ, Fall 2023
- Session II: 2-day session in ASCO HQ, Winter 2024
- Session III: 3-day session in ASCO HQ, Spring 2024
- Session IV & Graduation: 3-day session in ASCO HQ, Fall 2024
Participants also are required to participate in bi-weekly conference calls and complete course evaluations and alumni surveys.
Program Curriculum Outline
The Education Scholars Program curriculum includes information related to the following:
- Design Thinking
- Mechanisms of Learning
- Instructional Methods
- Memory and Retrieval
- Leadership skills
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Education Scholars meetings and activities in accordance with ASCO’s volunteer reimbursement policy, excluding the Annual Meeting.
The application period for the 2023-24 ASCO Education Scholars Program will open on September 1, 2022, and close on November 22, 2022. If you have questions please email our Professional Development team.
Please visit the Application Guidelines page for more information and to apply.