The Long-term International Fellowship (LIFe) provides early-career oncologists in low- to middle-income countries (LMICs) the support and resources needed to advance their training by deepening their relationship with a mentor at a host institution in the United States, Canada, or Europe. During the one-year fellowship, the recipients receive valuable training and experience, which they use to effect change in cancer care in their home country.
Applicants must have a pre-existing relationship with a mentor (must be an ASCO member) but must not already be at the mentor’s institution at the time of application submission. This Fellowship cannot be used to extend an existing fellowship or program of work.
The LIFe is a one-year grant totaling $115,000 to pay for personnel, research, and travel expenses including travel to attend the Conquer Cancer Grants and Awards Ceremony at the ASCO Annual Meeting. For 2023, there is funding for one award which will be awarded to the most meritorious application evaluated for this competition. Additional fellowships may be awarded as funding becomes available.
All of the following criteria must be met in order to qualify for a LIFe:
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) who has completed a subspecialty training program (such as hematology-oncology fellowship or radiation oncology residency) or the equivalent.
- Be a citizen of a country categorized by the World Bank as Low-Income, Lower-Middle-Income, or Upper-Middle-Income.
- Have less than 10 years of experience in the field of oncology.
- Have received no more than one year of training in the United States, Canada, or Europe (for instance, attended medical school, participated in internships, fellowships, research positions or residency programs).
- Must not already be at the host institution at the time of application submission.
- Must commit to returning to their home country within one year following the completion of the Fellowship.
- Be an ASCO member or have submitted a membership application with the grant application. Visit ASCO Membership to join/renew online.
Applicants who are uncertain about their eligibility are encouraged to contact our Grants team for clarification and provide their latest CV for evaluation.
To download the LIFe Request for Proposals (RFP), click here.
All application materials must be in English and must be submitted through the Application Portal. Paper applications or applications sent by e-mail or fax will not be accepted.
The Long-term International Fellowship is supported by:
Conquer Cancer®, the ASCO Foundation
This list reflects commitments as of March 5, 2022.
This grant receives support that may result in a report to the CMS Open Payments website under the Physician Payments Sunshine Act. The supporting companies are required to report the amount of the grant, the names of physicians who are awarded this grant, and the names of their institutions. This information may appear on the Open Payments website. Find out more information about the Sunshine Act and CMS Open Payments program.