Developing Future Leaders
If you are interested in becoming a leader in the field of oncology and at ASCO, the ASCO Leadership Development Program (LDP) is for you. We are seeking ASCO members for the yearlong LDP who are committed to using their skills to improve cancer care in their communities, have a demonstrated track record of volunteer and community service, and have completed their subspecialty training within a specified timeframe. ASCO strongly encourages application submissions in all oncology subspecialties.
This program is open to participants both in and outside of the U.S., and it will impart valuable leadership skills, provide exposure to ASCO’s roles and mission, and offer networking and mentorship opportunities with ASCO leaders. Leaders will develop skills in effective communication, team management, conflict resolution, strategic planning, and constructive media utilization.
The purpose of this program is to
- Identify, select, and train mid-career-level members to become future leaders at ASCO and in other areas of medicine.
- Provide leadership skills training through an orientation to ASCO’s structures and programs.
- Facilitate the promotion of program graduates into leadership positions in ASCO.
This program requires a time commitment for travel and training. ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at leadership development meetings and activities held at ASCO headquarters; however, the capstone program at Annual Meeting is not covered.
The application period for the 2024-25 program will open July 1, 2023, and close September 24, 2023. If you have questions about the program or application process, please email our Professional Development team.
Please reference the Application Guide for detailed information on the application components and selection process.
Applicants are encouraged to start their application early due to the complexity of the online application process. To apply, please visit ASCO's SurveyMonkey Apply platform.
Please email ASCO Professional Development staff with any questions or if you are locked out of your SurveyMonkey Apply account.
- Contact information
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of interest
- Supervisor/senior member letter of support
- Additional letter of support
- Responses to short-answer questions
Applications for the 2024-2025 ASCO LDP will be accepted from July 1 to September 24, 2023, and applicants will be notified in April 2024.
All communication will be sent to the primary email address entered for the applicant in their ASCO profile. Please confirm that this email address is current and correct.
Please add email@example.com to your safe senders list and/or check your spam folder if you are not receiving communications such as document submission notifications, application submission confirmation, etc.
The Leadership Development Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants’ eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Be a physician (MD, DO, or international equivalent) working in any country
- Have completed one’s final subspecialty training between 2014 and 2019
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support. The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not a member, a supporting letter from a member must be included.
Note: ASCO will also extend an eligibility exception for a new child, personal or family illness, or other compelling interruptions in professional development that delay initiating an application for the current cycle. Candidates who wish to request an eligibility extension should submit their rationale in writing to the Leadership Development Program Committee.
Sixteen participants are accepted for the annual program, and they are expected to attend and actively participate in five live meetings:
- 1-day session at the ASCO Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2024
- 2-day session in Alexandria, VA, in Summer 2024
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA, in Fall 2024
- 3-day session in Alexandria, VA, in Spring 2025
- 2-day session at the Annual Meeting in Chicago in June 2025.
The class is divided into four teams, and each is assigned an ASCO strategic issue to research. Teams will complete project assignments throughout the year and develop a presentation to be delivered to the Board of Directors. They also will gain exposure to U.S. government research agencies and receive firsthand advocacy experience on Capitol Hill.
Individuals will practice acquired leadership skills throughout the year within project teams. Participants will partake in standing conference calls with the LDP team.
The class is required to complete course evaluations and alumni surveys.
2024 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois
ASCO Leadership Development Program Orientation Session
ASCO Headquarters Summer 2024 Session
- Orientation to ASCO
- Leadership Skills Session: Interpersonal Communication and Teamwork
- Introduction to Interactive Learning Projects
ASCO Headquarters Fall 2024 Session
- Leadership Skills Session: Conflict Management
- Interactive Learning Project Presentations
ASCO Headquarters Spring 2025 Session
- Leadership Skills Session: Increasing Interpersonal Effectiveness
- Interactive Learning Project Presentations
2025 ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois
- Presentations to the ASCO Board of Directors