The awards recognize extraordinary women leaders in oncology and role models who have excelled as a mentor and have demonstrated outstanding commitment to the professional development of women colleagues as clinicians, educators, and researchers in oncology. The awards seek to recognize and promote the work of women mentors in oncology and, ultimately, narrow career gender disparities through the mentorship and professional development of women oncology professionals.
Two awards are presented annually:
- Hologic, Inc Endowed WWCC Mentorship Award (U.S. based recipient)
- International WWCC Mentorship Award
The Women Who Conquer Cancer (WWCC) is a program of Conquer Cancer that is designed to offer critical support to young women in cancer research to help them build their careers and stay in the field. Mentors play a critical role in the development of the next generation of oncologists. The Mentorship Awards signals ASCO and Conquer Cancer’s commitment to women oncology professionals by recognizing women who have dedicated their time, energy, and expertise to advance the career of oncology professionals.
Award winners will receive the following recognition and benefits:
- Honored at a special live session during Annual Meeting
- Recognition at the ASCO President’s Dinner during the ASCO Annual Meeting
- Recognition at the Conquer Cancer Grants & Awards Ceremony during the ASCO Annual Meeting
- $5,000 honorarium
- Award plaque
- Complimentary ASCO Annual Meeting Registration
- Travel support to attend the Annual Meeting (airfare, hotel, meals, transportation)
- Invitation to the President’s Dinner
Expectations for Award Winners
- Award recipients will participate in moderated panel discussion with a focus on career development and mentorship at special live session during Annual Meeting. The session will be videotaped as part of meeting capture.
- Attendance at the ASCO President’s Dinner during the ASCO Annual Meeting
- Attendance at Conquer Cancer Grants & Awards Ceremony during the ASCO Annual Meeting
- Agree to be featured in ASCO Annual Meeting materials including ASCO Daily News and WWCC materials
All eligible nominees will be recognized on the Conquer Cancer website and will have the opportunity to be featured on the Women Who Conquer Cancer online series in ASCO Connection.
The nomination period for the 2023 WWCC Mentorship Awards is now open. Submit a nomination.
Nominations must be submitted by a colleague with personal knowledge of the nominee's mentoring activities.
Eligibility Criteria for Nominees:
- Must be a woman
- Must be an ASCO member (all disciplines) at the time of nomination submission
- Must have had a sustained record of mentoring over time
The nomination requires providing answers to the following questions:
- Why should the nominee be awarded? Describe in detail the exceptional mentoring abilities of the nominee and what distinguishes the nominee from other outstanding mentors.
- Explain what this nominee has done to guide, support and promote training and development of their mentees.
- Required. Nominee's Curriculum Vitae or Bio (5-page maximum)
- Required. A minimum of two (2) letters of recommendation/testimonials from mentees of the nominee over the past 5 years. Letters must be dated and signed (2-page limit per letter). The letter should explain the qualities that the mentor possessed, the behaviors she exhibited to be considered an "outstanding" mentor and the demonstrated impact on the mentee’s academic and/or professional development. Please be as specific and detailed as possible. It is also helpful to provide specific anecdotes and examples.
- Optional. Additional Letters of Support – the nomination can include up to three additional letters of support from colleagues of the nominee or individuals who can attest to the nominee’s qualifications and accomplishments (e.g., teaching colleagues, department chair, former students). The letters should describe how the nominee has aided the scientific careers of individuals who were mentored by nominee and their subsequent achievements, the participation of the nominee in organized activities aimed at promoting the careers of junior investigators, or efforts of the nominee to support the development of the next generation of cancer researchers.
- Optional. Other supporting documentation – the nomination can include articles, stories, videos that show the nominee’s commitment and contributions to mentoring. You may upload the actual materials, or if the materials are available online you can upload a document that contains the links to the materials.
Upon request, nominations from the previous year may be carried over to current year for consideration. Nominations may only be carried over for 1 year. Please contact our Awards team to request a past nomination to be carried over.
Nominations will be evaluated by the Women Who Conquer Cancer (WWCC) Committee based on the overall strength of the nomination and on how the nominee exemplified elements including, but not limited to:
- Demonstrating concern and support to the personal development of mentees
- Encouraging career growth and development
- Offering professional guidance
- Exhibiting positive role modeling
- Demonstrating a long-term commitment to mentoring
ASCO and Conquer Cancer Board Members and Officers are not eligible to receive Special Awards from the time they are elected through the end of the calendar year in which their Board terms conclude. Members of the Women Who Conquer Cancer Committee are not eligible to receive the WWCC Mentorship Awards during their service on the WWCC Committee.
Questions regarding the eligibility of a candidate may be sent to our Awards team prior to submitting a nomination.
The Women Who Conquer Cancer Mentorship Awards are funded through Conquer Cancer®, the ASCO Foundation by these generous donors.
This list reflects commitments as of September 21, 2022.
The Membership Directory is your go-to tool for finding and interacting with other members. Designed to keep you in touch with like-minded colleagues, the Membership Directory app enables you to build your professional network, connect with colleagues at meetings and easily provide other members’ information to patients seeking a referral. Using the app, members can search by name, organization, specialty and/or certification.