ASCO is seeking members with a commitment to education who want the expertise and leadership skills needed to enhance the ASCO learning portfolio as well as medical education overall. Participants in the selective yearlong program will
- Join a community of education scholars.
- Undergo learning science training.
- Design an ASCO education activity based on learning theory and learning science.
- Become medical education leaders.
- Undertake leadership training by our LDP leadership coach.
- Understand cognitive science and adult learning theory and apply it to an ASCO learning activity with the intent to integrate the activity into ASCO’s education portfolio.
- Engage in leadership development activities with an executive leadership coach.
- Develop expertise in the design of education activities.
- Advance medical education within ASCO, their institution, and the medical community as a whole.
- Serve on an ASCO-focused education committee or planning group to lead the integration of learning science into additional programs/activities after completion of the Education Scholars Program.
If you have any questions regarding the Education Scholars Program or the application process, please email ASCO Professional Development staff.
The application period for the 2024-25 ASCO Education Scholars Program will open on September 1, 2023, and close on November 19, 2023.
Program Details & Eligibility
Participants in the year-long Education Scholars Program (ESP) will undergo learning science and leadership skills training to enhance ASCO's education offerings. Following the completion of the program, participants will be placed in volunteer work groups to integrate evidence-based education into ASCO programs.
- Develop expertise in the design of education activities;
- Apply the latest research in learning science to oncology education within ASCO and their institutions;
- Engage in leadership skills training with an executive leadership coach;
- Advance medical education within ASCO, their institution, and the medical community as a whole; and
- Upon program completion, serve on an ASCO volunteer work group to further integrate evidence-based education into ASCO’s programs
The Education Scholars Program Work Group reserves the right to evaluate and determine applicants' eligibility based on the information and justifications included in the application materials.
For the 2024-2025 Class, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be an ASCO member
- Completed final subspecialty training prior to the start of the program
- Have a supervisor or senior member from one’s institution/practice provide a letter of support.
- The supervisor/senior member must endorse one’s participation in the program. If the senior member is not an ASCO member, a supporting letter from an ASCO member must be included.
Note: If at any time during the application or review process, you have a career plan change or leave your current position, please email ASCO Professional Development staff.
Each year, we limit the class size to 12 participants.
ASCO values class diversity and strongly encourages application submissions from all practice settings and oncology subspecialties
This program requires a time commitment for travel and training. Participants will be required to attend and actively participate in 5 meetings that follow this sample schedule:
- Virtual Orientation: Fall 2024
- Session I: 3-day session at ASCO HQ, Fall 2024
- Session II: 2-day session in ASCO HQ, Winter 2025
- Session III: 3-day session in ASCO HQ, Spring 2025
- Session IV: 3-day session in ASCO HQ, Summer 2025
- Session V & Graduation: 1-day virtual session, Fall 2025
Participants also are required to participate in bi-weekly conference calls and complete course evaluations and alumni surveys.
Program Curriculum Outline
The Education Scholars Program curriculum includes information related to the following:
- Design Thinking
- Mechanisms of Learning
- Instructional Methods
- Memory and Retrieval
- Leadership skills
ASCO reimburses participants for housing and travel costs related to attendance at Education Scholars meetings and activities in accordance with ASCO’s volunteer reimbursement policy, excluding the Annual Meeting.
The application period for the 2024-25 ASCO Education Scholars Program will open on September 1, 2023, and close on November 19, 2023. Please visit ASCO's SurveyMonkey Apply platform for more information and to apply.
- Contact Information
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Interest
- Supervisor/Senior Member Letter of Support
- Additional Letter of Support
- Responses to Short-Answer Questions
- Notification Process
All communications will be sent to the primary email address on your ASCO profile. Please confirm that this email address is current and correct.
Please add email@example.com to your safe senders list and/or check your spam folder if you are not receiving communications such as document submission notifications, application submission confirmation, etc.
If you have questions, please email our Professional Development team.
The application period for the 2024-2025 ASCO Education Scholars Program will open on September 1, 2023, and close on November 22, 2023. Applicants to the 2024-2025 cycle can expect to be notified in Spring 2024.
The Education Scholars Program is funded through Conquer Cancer®, the ASCO Foundation, with the generous support of these donors: