Physician Practice Information Surveys
The American Medical Association conducts studies to compile accurate financial information to better understand the costs associated with physician practices. The data is shared with policymakers, including members of Congress and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and is used to develop practice expense relative values, the Medicare Economic Index, and resulting physician reimbursement.
- AMA's communication on the 2023 Physician Practice Information Survey
- 2023 Physician Practice Information Survey Summary
- AMA's information on previous surveys
Enhanced Oncology Model
The Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation’s (CMMI) Enhancing Oncology Model (EOM) aims to ensure quality care is provided to fee-for-service beneficiaries who are undergoing treatment for cancer, while also reducing spending.
- NEW - Journal of Clinical Oncology: Practice Considerations for Participation in the Enhancing Oncology Model
- ASCO’s EOM fact sheet
- Assessing & Understanding the EOM Webinar
Additional details and information about the EOM can be found on the CMS website.
The National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) edits are developed by CMS to establish a uniform coding review method among MACs (Medicare Administrative Contractors). NCCI edits help the agency promote correct coding, enforce Medicare payment policies, and control improper payments made by inappropriate coding. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services publishes updates to the NCCI edits for Procedure to Procedure and Medically Unlikely Edits on a quarterly basis. The organization also publishes the NCCI policy manual on an annual basis.
RAC Program Information and Resources
The Recover Audit Contractors (RAC) initiative was developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to fight fraud and abuse in the Medicare program.
Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Consolidated Billing
Resource: CMS’ Overview of SNF billing
National Coverage Determinations, Local Coverage Determinations, and Coding/Reporting Information
- National coverage determination (NCD): a general outline of coverage that is applicable regardless of which Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) is administering claims for a region.
- Local coverage determination (LCD): specific to a MAC.
- National Coverage Analysis (NCA): a document published in response to a review request.
- Local Coverage Articles (LCA): can act as companion pieces to local coverage determinations or stand alone to communicate information about an item/service.
Search for policies with CMS MCD Search tool:
Refer to Medicare Coverage Determination Resource for more information regarding coverage determinations and the development process.
CMS Medicare Manuals
CMS’ internet-only manuals provide detailed information on Medicare eligibility, provider participation, benefits, coverage, claims processing and more.