ASCO offers topical mentoring opportunities throughout the year to provide members with the opportunity to seek feedback and ask questions about specific career and professional development topics.
In-Person Opportunities at the ASCO Annual Meeting
The ASCO Annual Meeting’s Networking Lounges offer Career Conversation meetings to connect attendees with more experienced oncology professionals in one-on-one topical mentoring meetings. These meetings help members expand their professional network and provide critical access to mentorship in an abbreviated, informal format.
- Trainee & Early Career Oncologist Member Lounge: ASCO Member attendees who are students, enrolled in a medical specialty or subspecialty training program, or are 0-5 years post-oncology subspecialty training can sign-up to meet with a topical mentor to discuss training paths, careers in oncology, finding a job, and navigating early career.
- Women’s Networking Center: Attendees who identify as female can sign-up to meet with a female topical mentor to discuss career and professional development topics.
- Publications Lounge: All attendees can sign-up to meet with ASCO Journals editors and editorial board members to learn more about ASCO publications and discuss career development topics.
Registered meeting attendees can sign-up for a topical mentoring meeting slot beginning the month prior to the Annual Meeting. Sign-up information will be posted here and on the Annual Meeting’s website. Learn more about the Lounges’ mentoring meetings and additional programming.
Throughout the year, members can sign-up to participate in virtual meetings focused on specific training or career topics. These meeting opportunities are one-time for 30-60 minutes and eligible members will select their preferred topical mentor on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the selection is made, ASCO staff will send an email to introduce the topical mentor and mentee. From there, the pair work independently to schedule and host their virtual meeting Currently, ASCO offers the following virtual topical mentoring meeting opportunities:
- Mock Fellowship or Residency Interviews: Virtual meeting for current medical students or residents to practice their interviews skills, receive feedback on their CV, and ask questions to prepare for oncology subspecialty training interviews. Sign-ups available annually July – August.
- Mock Job Interviews: Virtual meeting for current oncology fellows/trainees to practice their interviews skills, receive feedback on their CV, and ask questions to prepare for job interviews. Sign-ups available annually July – August.
- Grant Writing "Office Hours": Virtual meeting for fellows/trainees and early career oncologists to seek guidance on their grant writing skills and ask questions about preparing a grant application. Sign-ups available annually July – August.
As virtual meeting opportunities are available, ASCO will post the sign-up information to this page as well as through member emails, newsletters, and myConnection communities.